Cycling is a fun and accessible physical activity that carries a lot of benefits, especially when it comes to health. However, like any other activity, if there are advantages there would be disadvantages too.But if you’re still determined to pick up cycling whether as a sport or hobby it helps to know both sides so that you’re prepared for whatever comes up. Here are some of the pros and cons of cycling.
- It’s an activity that is easy to learn, especially if you start young. And even if you haven’t been cycling for a while, you won’t forget how to do it. It’s almost like your muscles have memorized the skill.
- Whether you’re young or old, cycling is a great activity to pursue in order to stay physically active.
- Compared to rigorous cardio exercises like running or jogging, cycling is a better alternative for those who are overweight or suffering from joint pain. Because unlike the aforementioned exercises, cycling won’t put your back, knees, hips, and ankles into too much stress.
- For those who are simply looking for an activity that will help them maintain their ideal weight, cycling is a good choice.
- It could be an exercise that is good for the heart. It also reduces the risk of osteoporosis and other related bone diseases.
- It could cost you more than you expect. If it’s just for a hobby or once in a while thing, used bikes are affordable and would be more than enough. But if you’re in it for competitive sport, you’ll probably need high-end models that will ensure quality. Aside from that helmet, speedometer and other gears have increased their price tags.
- Weather could be your enemy. Since most cyclist likes to take it outdoors, you would have to be updated with the weather forecast. If it’s sunny out you’d be fine, but other than that you’d be stuck indoors.
- You could be injured. The weather, road condition, bike condition, you’re ability to follow road safety, your cycling training, and other motorists and pedestrians could play a role in an accident which of course leads to cycling injuries. Luckily there are companies that offer insurance for cycling injuries such as Osbornes.
- Because cycling could be effortless, sometimes some cyclists get too comfortable. If you want to really challenge yourself, try hitting hills while increasing your speed instead of just coasting your way through the ride.